50 Objects

Atlantean Artifacts 
A collection of over 50 pieces made of red clay and the glazes of True Black, True Blue, Lilac, and Amber.

"subaqueanus Floreo" 















"Atlantean Ceremonial Bowl Set"


"Mollusca Brochure" 
















Artist Statement:

For these pieces I was greatly inspired by the ocean. Growing up in Florida surrounded by water I have always had a fascination with water, the ocean especially. I've always felt a call to the ocean ever since I was little and often I wonder what life under water would be like. I've also have a curiosity for archeology, finding ruins of ancient civilizations and  digging up new history is an truly wonderful field of work. With the topic of lost (or possibly lost) civilizations it's no surprise that having been drawn to the ocean from a young age I have also been fascinated with stories of Atlantis. I then wondered if Atlantis was ever found what types of objects would be discovered?  Then combing both archeology and the ocean, I was inspired to center my 50 objects as if they where from the Lost City of Atlantis. My forms are inspired by organic creatures one might find in the depths of the oceans as while as the fluidity of the waves. I choose to bend and contort many of the figures as if they were moving in the ocean. These pieces are very whimsical and imaginative as no-one has ever been to Atlantis, but if this lost city is truly out there and one day discovered perhaps objects such as these might be found.

Research:
Yun Hee Lee
Lee Yun Hee. Courtesy of Gallery HUUE.

Brain Rochefort

Brian Rochefort. Courtesy of the artist.
Julia Haft-Candell

Julia Haft-Candell, Friends. Courtesy of Parrasch Heijnen Gallery and the artist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUND Sculpture