SOUND Sculpture

"Internal Plea"
14'' by 6.5''
Red Clay and True Black Glaze





















Artist Statement:
For this piece I was interested in the idea of the self and the idea of internal struggle. I wanted a piece that evoke conversation within your own body. Many of us struggle with our own inner demons and thoughts tat it can become overwhelming. Sometimes our feelings towards ourselves are not only negative, but also damaging. I deiced to use organic figures and twist their forms as if a person strangled by their own feelings that they twist into one another. I wanted brought together figures that played off of the organic forms while also these pieces still being inherently a stationary object. The use of the curvilinear lines are designed to invoke movement. I then went on to give these vessels a voice. I recorded myself pleading to anyone that would listen to please get me out, get me out of hear, help me please! I did this over and over again for 45 seconds till the voice slowly fades. I wanted to leave the viewer with a eerie sensation while still being a sorrowful piece.

I also have included pictures of these piece with several others. Once other forms are added to the single stationary piece the message changes. It can reflect that although a person my still have friends near them a person can still feel alone and trapped in their own thoughts.





Research:
Florian Hecker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_heTpX0772I

Susan Philipsz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seKIksUt6A

Christine Sun Kim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Euof4PnjDk












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Objects